Monday, July 23, 2018

The Watson's Go to Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis



Again, as an educator I would be amiss if I did not include some reviews of books that teachers and parents can appreciate. This book is appropriate for several audiences. I like this book because young males are particularly drawn to its characters. I have found that boys tend to be hardest to get interested in reading, but Christopher Paul Curtis must have know this when he added the comedy and real life brotherly banter to this novel. I also enjoy this book for its method of dealing with painful themes within the classroom and at home. Themes such as poor vs rich and racism are dealt with in a manner students and children can understand and empathize with. As a teacher I like the multiple historical tie-ins. Any book that easily lends itself to cross curricular content is a plus in my curriculum. The book also has many literary elements, using it I can teach almost any literary element I choose. I can follow common core lesson plans but apply them to this novel that students are actually interested in. I have found the biggest problem I have with this book is that many of my students read ahead of the assigned pages because they just cannot put the book down (keep in mind I deal with students who have learning disabilities) .
For those who need additional support I do provide the audio book and the audio of this book is the absolute best of any book I have ever listened to. There are sound effects, background music, and then there is the narrator LeVar Burton. Yes! Star Trek and Reading Rainbow's LeVar Burton. Enough Said.

Classroom Content--- 5 out of 5 Stars
Audio content--- 5 out of 5 Stars
I give the book The Watson' s Go to Birmingham 1963 5 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment