Monday, July 23, 2018

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman



This book has its benefits in that middle school boys enjoy reading it. I would not recommend it for classroom use. It has a morbid background and can lead to religious debates that can make students and the teacher uncomfortable. As a piece of literature, and as a fantasy reader I enjoyed the book. It was not one of my favorite reads, but it was not distasteful. I would not let my son read this until he is older just because it deals with themes such as murder and of course death. You would not want an elementary student reading this book. I do not believe my daughters would read this book at all, unless forced to read it. My experience with girls is they usually shy away from the morbidity contained within these pages. Please do not think this is a book about evil and ghosts. This book has a well defined plot and the characters are expertly crafted in Neil Gaiman style. However after years in education, and parenting I believe this book is best directed at 7-8th grade boys as a pleasure read.

Educational Content 2 out of 5 stars
I give The Graveyard Book 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment