Saturday, July 14, 2018

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black



I have always enjoyed reading Holly Black's novels. When preparing to read this book, as always, I started to read reviews, and I was shocked at the mixed reviews. I went into this book unsure of what I was getting into. After reading the first 3 chapters I had to put the book down and take a breather. However, this author has a way of piquing my interest, so I picked it back up the nest day. I needed, more than wanted, to know what happened to these children. Since I strive not to include spoilers in my reviews I find it difficult to express my full opinions on this book. Most novels deal with the lighter side of fairies, not so in this novel.  The world building was excellent. The character development was extensive, and I even went as far to purchase this audio book as well as hard cover. The audio was expertly rendered. However, there were aspects of this book that still haunt me. In truth, I believe that was the purpose of this writing. This book was not intended to be light and airy, but no one can contest the expertise in the writing and plot development. It is rare that I am surprised by a plot twist, or the method by which an author resolves conflict in a book. Holly Black both surprised me and excited me. Yes, this was a darker than normal fae novel, and there are issues I have with the story line, but the book itself is beautifully written. 

I give The Cruel Prince 4 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment