Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody


Sixteen-year-old Sorina has spent most of her life within the smoldering borders of the Gomorrah Festival. Yet even among the many unusual members of the traveling circus-city, Sorina stands apart as the only illusion-worker born in hundreds of years. This rare talent allows her to create illusions that others can see, feel and touch, with personalities all their own.

If you enjoyed the story behind Caraval, The Night Circus, and Freeks, you might enjoy this book. I had a lot of likes within the pages of this book. I liked the murder mystery and the magic system that formed. I always enjoy reading a good magic system. Yes I know they are not real, and no I do not practice witchcraft, but I love to read and have a big imagination, and books are meant to be an escape from reality. I did not care for the romance in this story. I do not enjoy Mushy or drown out, complex romance among youth and this book was saturated in it. I also do not support/like reading books with homosexual relationships in them. I acknowledge many of today's books have these themes, but I personally do not support them.   There seemed to be some of those suggestions made in this book. Before you tar and feather me, this is my site and my review, I have the right not to enjoy reading about things I do not support. I did not trash anyone and was not hateful, so I would appreciate the same courtesy.  

I give Daughter of the Burning City 2.5 out of 5 Stars
I give the audio performance for this book 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment