Monday, July 23, 2018

The Maze Runner by James Dashner



This book made it on the 2017-2018 Battle of the Books list. I was a bit surprised. My son, a middle school student, was on the team and read this book. The book does have an interesting plot, with lots of twists and turns, but I felt it was a bit violent for a middle school student to be reading. The positive point the book does have is that it does seem to attract middle school and high school male readers. However, it does not have much educational benefit outside of getting students to read, and I would not want to be responsible for the backlash that would occur if this book was required reading in a classroom. There is not a lot of inappropriate sexual relationships but the violence in the book marks it for your more mature students. My son is a AIG student, he read the book, discussed his issues with the book with me, and went on to enjoy the plot and characters. He also shared with me that other members of his BOB team made jokes and cut up about the fighting and gore within the book. So this one is a toss up. It is good for young adults and mature readers. I would not restrict any child from reading a book, but I would caution students, this title gets gory. However, any book that gets a child to read is a good book!


Educational content 2 out of  5 stars
I give The Maze Runner an Overall 3 out of 5 Stars
I give the Audio version of this book 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment