Monday, July 23, 2018

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan


Esperanza Rising is a beautiful book I have found appeals to many of my ESL students. Living in southeastern NC I have a lot of students whose families are farmers, they are here on work VISAs and these students understand the culture of this book. I like to implement this book within my classroom because it helps my other students become a bit more culturally aware of the lifestyle many of their peers are living. It may not be an identical situation to Esperanza's, but many of my migrant students can identify with parts of the lifestyle contained within the pages of this book.  This book is also a good reminder for me of exactly what my students are dealing with at home. It keeps me sensitive to their plight and so I like to use it as an easy read early on in the school year. It lends itself easily to cross-curricular instruction especially early in the semester. It is best suited for middle school students. I have found this is another book that easily opens the floor for discussions and students are readily willing to discuss issues within these pages. It is amazing to me the level of acceptance this book can create in my classroom.  That alone is a reason to adopt it in the curriculum.

Educational content 4 out of 5 stars
I give the book Esperanza Rising 4 out of 5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment