Monday, July 23, 2018

Night by Elie Wiesel



As a school teacher I would be amiss if I did not include some reviews of books I have read and used in my classrooms. Of those books this might be the most powerful novel I have ever encountered. This novel is not for the immature. The first time I read it with an immature group of students and a student laughed at the horrors contained within these pages I grew angry. I had to take a moment. This book may be a short read, but it is NOT for the faint of heart. For the educator looking for cross curricular material it has it all. It has multiple literary elements including imagery and symbolism, complex character development and multiple themes to deal with. You can have honest and open discussions about hot topics within the book and the students, in my experience are usually ready to engage and ask questions. There are also the cross-curricular historical tie ins and even science related content. A teacher can relate this book to almost every subject and in my honest opinion it is a life changer. No one should graduate high school without experiencing this novel and its life changing impacts.
Because I do teach resource students I used this book in my EC English class and purchased the audio version for some of my struggling readers. The audio content is beautiful and the students, as well as I, were hooked.

I give Night 5 out of 5 stars for educational content
 I give the audio version of this book 5 out of 5 stars
I also give the Book Night 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment