Sunday, August 5, 2018

The Forgotten Book by Mechthild Gläser


Emma is used to things going her way. Her father is headmaster of her prestigious boarding school, her friends take her advice as gospel, and she's convinced that a relationship with her long-time crush is on the horizon.
As it turns out, Emma hasn't seen anything yet. When she finds an old book in an abandoned library, things really start going Emma's way: anything she writes in the book comes true.
But the power of the book is not without consequences, and Emma soon realizes that she isn't the only one who knows about it. Someone is determined to take it from her--and they'll stop at nothing to succeed.

This book is supposed to have tie-ins with Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. I will try to write this review based on the book itself and not on any relationship it has to Austin's book.
The first thing I noticed about this book was its beautiful cover. Like The Book Jumper, by the same author, it has a lovely cover, but that book did not impress me so I was hesitant. However, I am a sucker for a pretty cover and this time I was rewarded with a better story. The story within these pages is better suited to a younger audience. I believe I would recommend this book for middle school aged students. The relationships and angst between characters tends to be juvenile,  but adequate for that audience. The characters are not overly complex, but developed enough to create an interesting plot, and the story line is interesting. Overall the tale held my attention in spite of being mostly predictable. My own children enjoyed the book far more than I did. 

School aged ranking 4 out of 5 stars for The Forgotten Book
The audio performance 4 out of 5 stars
Overall I give The Forgotten Book 3 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment